The Ultimate Guide To Psychic Readings
In difficult times, many people search for advice and information from psychics, fortune tellers, clairvoyants, and intuitive readers. But how can you really know who to trust?
I’m Amy Brocker, and the founder of PsychicBase.com. For years, I’ve been consulting with professional psychics to help better understand my past and present, and to learn the steps I need to take to shape my future. I know how to find genuine and honest psychics and I know how to spot a scam from a mile away as well.
If you’ve already made the decision to get a psychic reading, the most important thing you need to understand is that not all psychics are created equal. The information you receive during a reading can have serious impacts on your life, for good or bad.
That’s why it’s so important to avoid independent psychics (freelancers), and only use trusted psychic networks that have a strong reputation and many years in business.
Because of my experience with psychic readings, I can show you which companies have the most gifted and accurate psychics, how to avoid online scams, and how to get the most out of your reading.
Here is just some of the things you will learn in this guide:
- How to tell if your psychic is real or fake, and common scams to avoid.
- How to ask the right questions during your psychic reading.
- How to prepare and get the most out of your reading.
- Explanation of the different types of psychic readings and how each of them work.
Table of Contents
- 1 How To Tell if You’re Psychic is Real or Fake
- 2 What Questions Should You Ask Your Psychic?
- 3 How To Prepare For Your First Psychic Reading
- 4 Different Types of Psychic Readings
- 5 Psychic Vs. Medium – What’s The Difference?
- 6 Video of Psychic Medium John Edward Performing A Live Reading
- 7 Links & resources
How To Tell if You’re Psychic is Real or Fake
Although real psychics do exist (if you know where to find them), it is unfortunate that there are also so many fake psychics online that have no real ability at all. If a psychic is real, they should immediately be able to tell you something specific to your life at the beginning of the reading. Be careful though that they’re not just giving you general statements that could be applied to almost anyone – it needs to be specific to you.
Sadly, the average person is having a hard time distinguishing between a legitimate psychic medium and a fake. Fraudsters and scam artists can be quite convincing and hard to spot if you don’t know what to watch out for. When people are going through a desperate time in their life, they are much more susceptible to deception from a scammer.
Below I have revealed 4 of the most common psychic scams that you need to look out for.
The Cold Reading Scam
This is probably the most common scam, and it usually involves a psychic that has no real ability at all. Typically, these psychics get good at reading your tone of voice or your body language, they bring up general statements that seem like they’re specific to you, or they bait you for information that they can use later in the reading.
From all the information and signs they’ve gathered from you, then they can throw back the information to you in a way that makes it seem like they’ve “psychically” received it. If a reader is asking a lot of leading questions, it is likely that they’re attempting to give you a cold reading and don’t have any real intuition.
The Curse Scam
Once a scammer feels like they have gained your trust, they will introduce a claim that someone from your past has put a curse on you or your family. And it’s possible that they could take another angle and say that someone your partner knows has cast a love spell to keep him or her from loving you. Another angle they use is that your family has a curse on it, and that’s the reason you’re experiencing difficulty in life.
As soon as a psychic starts talking about curses, end the reading immediately. This is just a ploy to get you to pay them more money for items such as special candles or medallions to help remove the bogus curse.
Asking For Personal or Financial Information
Under no circumstance should you ever give out personal or financial information to a psychic including:
- Driver’s license number
- Social security number
- Bank account number
If a reader asks you for any of this information, you should hang up the phone and report them to the proper authorities. We’ve all seen the heart-breaking stories in the news where someone was swindled out of thousands of dollars by a fraudulent psychic. Most likely, the scammers were able to obtain personal financial information such as the items listed above in order to carry out their scam.
The “Foot in the Door” Scam
Some fraudulent psychic readers will claim to charge a one time fee for their services. Typically, this amount is between $50 and $500 for the “first reading”.
But usually after a few days have passed, the reader will call you back and claim that the negative energy surrounding you was stronger than they anticipated and that more work needs to be done, more candles or medallions need to be purchased, etc… And of course, this extra work costs an additional fee that is often more expensive than the “first time” cost.
We’ve all seen the news stories on the internet or on TV, where a psychic swindled $50,000 or more from an unsuspecting victim. This scam is one of the ways they accomplish this. Once they hook you in, the price increments start jumping to $500, $1,000, $5,000 and it just keeps going up as long as you allow it. And to top it all off, once you’ve invested a large sum of money into these rituals that are clearing negative energy around you, they will then use that as leverage and claim that you will lose all the work they’ve done so far if you don’t keep working to remove the negative energy or spell.
What Questions Should You Ask Your Psychic?
A psychic reading can give you valuable information about yourself, those around you, and your path in life. While you may not always get the information you’re expecting, a talented psychic can always give you something intriguing to think about. Here are some tips for bringing the right questions to your reading.
Formulating Your Questions
Asking the right questions will help you point your conversation in the right direction. Don’t ask anything that can be answered with YES or NO. Instead, expand your focus and ask open-ended questions (Source).
Here’s some examples to illustrate my point.
“Should I quit my job?”
Instead, try this:
“I’m not happy in my job. Do you see something better coming for me?”
“Is my spouse being unfaithful?”
Instead, try this:
“I’m worried that my spouse is cheating on me. What do you pick up?”
Be open to the reading taking you in places beyond your question and maybe even out of your comfort zone. If you approach your reading with an expectation of a quick, short answer, you might miss a bigger message or even more important information.
Examples of The Types of Questions You Could Ask
“I’m in love with a man who has promised to tell his wife he is leaving the marriage. Is he really being honest with me, and do you see a happy future for us?”
“What should I be open to right now in my life?”
“I’m worried that my spouse is cheating on me. What do you pick up?”
“Is there anyone who has crossed over who wants to communicate with me?”
“How can we rekindle the lost spark in our relationship?”
With the right questions, you can gain powerful information to guide your life.
How To Prepare For Your First Psychic Reading
- Prepare Your Questions – A couple days before your reading, start brainstorming questions you’d like to ask the intuitive so you don’t forget an important question during your reading.
- Get In A Relaxed State – Right before your session, it’s very important to get your mind in a relaxed state and open yourself up to the possibilities that lie ahead. If you are emotionally unattached or your mind is wondering somewhere else, the psychic is going to have a hard time picking up on the right energy (source). Try meditating for 15 minutes before you scheduled session.
- Have A Notepad Ready – If you’re talking with a phone psychic, I recommend taking notes so you can remember key points that were covered during your conversation. Sometimes the information can come at you fast and it’s easy to forget key advice afterwards if a lot of information was covered.
- Get Rid of Distractions – If you’re getting a telephone reading and paying the psychic per minute for your reading, it’s important to not be distracted while on the phone. You really need to focus on the questions you’re giving and the answers you’re receiving.
- Don’t Be Hungover or Under The Influence – If your mind is in altered state, either from a hangover or drinking a little before your reading, it can negatively affect the vibrational energy that the psychic needs in order to connect with your spirit.
- Get A Recording Device – If you wish to re-listen to your psychic reading again, then you should have a recording device ready that can record conversations on your phone. Or you should at least ask the clairvoyant or medium beforehand if they record the sessions for you. Some companies will do that, and some won’t.
Different Types of Psychic Readings
Thanks to technology and the evolving psychic industry, many clairvoyants are now able to offer psychic readings by phone. Believe it or not, the sound of your voice conveys energy and information that an intuitive psychic can pick up on, without the distraction of your physical presence.
This is how a phone reading works:
- Call a psychic hotline and a representative will connect you with a reader that specializes in the type of reading you’re looking for.
- After connecting to a spiritual advisor, you’ll be able to ask any questions that you wish and receive the answers that you need.
- You can hang up the phone at any time, and only be charged for the number of minutes that spent talking to the telephone psychic.
Whether you’re looking for love advice or need a tarot card reading from a gifted psychic, nearly every type of reading can be done accurate over the telephone.
Online Chat Readings
Some people like the idea of connecting with a psychic online, rather than talking on the phone or face-to-face. For some people, it’s just easier to initiate that first conversation through a familiar texting interface. One of the biggest advantages is that it’s more discreet and private than a phone reading or face to face.
Another big advantage to chat readings is that you can save your chat transcript or have it emailed to you so you can refer back to it over and over as you wish. And lastly, you don’t have to worry about taking notes during your reading, which allows you to focus better on your questions and the answers you are receiving.
To get started with a chat reading, here are the steps you need to take:
- Sign up for a free account on any of the major online psychic networks (use one of my recommended companies listed above).
- Deposit money into your account to fund your reading.
- Browse through the profile pages of the online psychics that are currently available on the network’s web site, and choose an advisor that you feel comfortable with.
- After choosing your psychic, a chat window will pop up, and you can begin your reading. The chat box will show you how many minutes you have left during your reading, and you can exit the chat at any time.
Additional tips to get the most from your online psychic reading
- Make sure that you are in a quiet setting, so that your chat session won’t be interrupted.
- Before the reading starts, prepare a few open-ended questions that you can ask the psychic.
- After your reading is over, make sure to print your chat transcript or have it emailed to you.
- If you don’t like the connection you have with the psychic you’re talking to, it’s okay to end the chat reading at any time and avoid additional charges.
Dream analysis and interpretation can be a powerful tool for providing meaning and insight into the unconscious mind and spiritual realm. Dreams can provide surprising sneak peaks into the future, can bring up powerful emotions, and awaken long lost memories.
If you’re interested in a dream interpretation from a real psychic, it’s very important and helpful to keep a dream journal so you can document your dreams as soon as you wake up in the morning. You can even consider writing down your dream if you are awaken from a vivid dream in the middle of the night, before it fades away.
By keeping a journal with dreams that you want to be analyzed, a dream interpretation will uncover hidden meanings by looking for patterns, symbols, and connections in your dreams. Dream interpretation can connect patterns to past events in your life, uncover buried emotions, and find clues to the cause of such vivid dreams. Some of the more common dreams that people need help analyzing are:
- Being chased
- Have your teeth fallen out
- Taking a test when you’re not prepared
- Finding your partner cheating with someone else
Tarot Card Readings
Starting in the 18th and 19th centuries, tarot cards have been used for many years for fortune telling and divination. Tarot readers use a deck of playing cards that have different drawings and symbols on each, and they use these cards to predict future occurrences or to interpret your current situation by uncovering trends, energies, and patterns in the cards during a reading.
In modern times, a standard tarot card deck includes 78 cards. Of those 78 cards, 56 are called minor arcana, and 22 are referred to as major arcana (Source).
Major Arcana and Minor Arcana – What’s The Difference?
The minor arcana includes four suites with fourteen cards in each suit, and these cards represent the different stages in our life’s journey. The four suites in the minor arcana include Cups, Wands, Pentacles, and Swords. The major arcana includes images that are associated with important influences and past events in your life. Examples of major arcana cards include The Fool, The Magician, The Emperor, and The Lovers (Source).
Past Life Reading
The idea behind a past life reading is the belief that your soul is reborn into different bodies over and over again throughout time, also referred to as reincarnation. With a past life reading, a psychic looks back into your previous lives and helps you understand how your soul and current life has been impacted by past life experiences.
It’s important to keep in mind that past life readings are different than past life regression. In a past life reading, a medium or spiritual advisor takes a look into your past lives and relays to you what they discover. With past life regression, the reader hypnotizes you and guides you back into previous memories from your past life (Source).
With this type of reading, a psychic provides insight into your past, present, or future by using a deck of cards to answer your questions. Cartomancy mostly commonly uses a standard deck of 52 cards (four suites and thirteen cards for each suite).
Every number, suite, or face card is given a meaning, which the psychic relates back to your specific question or situation. Typically, Cartomancy is used for fortune telling or divination, but they can also be used to reveal hidden truths or patterns in your past or present (Source).
Psychic Vs. Medium – What’s The Difference?
The first thing you need to understand is that all mediums are psychic, but not all psychics are mediums. The best way to explain it is that psychics “perceive” information, and mediums “receive” information.
Psychics provide you with a clear and accurate reading from information that they perceive from you using natural abilities such as clairsentient (perceptive sensing and feeling), clairaudient (perceptive hearing), clairvoyant (perceptive seeing), and claircognizant (perceptive knowing) (source). In essence, they perceive your spirit.
Mediums on the other hand are a conduit between a person and a divine source. Depending on the ability of each medium, they might be able to receive information from angels, spirit guides, and loved ones that have passed.
Video of Psychic Medium John Edward Performing A Live Reading
Links & resources
Here is a list of additional resources that you may find useful.
- American Society for Psychical Research – Aspr.com
- 15 Signs That You’re A Psychic Medium – IntuitiveSoulsBlog.com
- Dream Moods A-Z Dictionary – DreamMoods.com
- Clairvoyance – CrystalLinks.com
- Good Questions To Ask in an Intuitive Guidance Reading – Carolelynne.com
- Guide To Avoiding Psychic Fraud – Collective-Evolution.com
- Poll – American’s Belief in Psychic and Paranormal Phenomena is Up Over Last Decade – Gallup.com
- Psychic’s Help Saught During Economic Downturn – NewsTimes.com
- 9 Real Stories of Real Encounters With Psychics – HuffingtonPost.com
- 6 Shocking Predictions That Came True For a NY Psychic – NyPost.com
- What To Expect In A Tarot Reading (and what not to) – TheTarotLady.com